Machu Picchu, Peru – SOLD OUT
Oct 6 – Oct 13, 2024
This is the chance of a lifetime to visit one of the 7 Wonders of the World, experience spectacular hiking and gorgeous mountain summits in Peru!
This stone fortress was part of the Incan Empire dating back to 1450AD and sitting 7,972ft above sea level. These ruins are remarkably preserved and one of the most visited tourist destinations in the world.
Many describe Machu Picchu as mysterious and magical. There are traces of temples and altars on site that were devoted to the Incas Sun God. This place was a sacred pilgrimage site for the Incas and we get to follow one of the same paths they trekked!
ACCLIMITIZATION IN CUSCO
The key to success for our Machu Picchu trek is acclimatization. It is crucial to take adequate time getting used to the high altitude.
Cusco is one of the highest cities in the world at 11,151ft above sea level.
It is common to experience altitude symptoms upon arrival to Cusco. We will spend 2 days* acclimating to this altitude before beginning our Machu Picchu trek. This acclimatization time in Cusco is mandatory for our group.
We will have a guided hike the day after arrival in Cusco to assist with acclimatization. Overall, physical activity during these first days of our trip should be minimal.
It is recommended to drink lots of water, get adequate rest and eat light meals to improve acclimatization. In addition, Diamox (a prescription medication) can be taken to help your body adjust to the higher altitude.
*Let Tauni know if you would like additional acclimatization time in Cusco, arrangements can be made on your behalf for early arrival.
THE SALKANTAY TREK
We are setting out on the 5-Day Salkantay Trek. This is an alternative route to Machu Picchu for more adventurous travelers. The Salkantay route is less frequented by tourists, offers a more challenging hike, and is considered one of the 25 best treks in the world by National Geographic!
The Salkantay Trek will take us to Humantay Lake, Salkantay Mountain, the cloud forest, waterfalls, glaciers, hot springs and the Peruvian Jungle.
Hiking distance will range from 6 to 13.6 miles per day, with the highest elevation on our hike being 15,100ft.
- Day 1 – 6.2 miles, 5-6 hours hiking, elevation range 12,470 – 13,780 ft
- Day 2 – 13.7 miles, 10 hours hiking, elevation range 9,510 – 15,190 ft
- Day 3 – 11.2 miles, 5-6 hours hiking, elevation range 6,560 – 9,510 ft
- Day 4 – 10 miles, 5-6 hours hiking, elevation range 5,900 – 9,190 ft
- Day 5 – 4 hour exploring Machu Picchu and hiking, 7,970 – 8,920 ft
Along our route we will stay in stunning mountain huts on Days 1, 2 & 3. These lovely accommodations will make your experience private and comfortable. On Day 4, at the end of our hike, we will take a train from Hidroelectrica to to Aguas Calientes where we will enjoy a hotel stay that evening.
Our camp on Days 2 & 3 will have WiFi and warm showers available for $10/item/person, if you choose to use them.
On Day 5 we will arrive to Machu Picchu by bus and enjoy a guided tour of this incredible ancient site. After our tour we will finish our trek by hiking Huayna Picchu Mountain, allowing us to take in the beauty of Machu Picchu from it’s neighboring summit.
We will be supported by experienced English-speaking mountain guides throughout our entire trek. Our guides are trained in mountain safety and will carry first-aid, oxygen and a satellite phone at all times.
Not only will our guides ensure our safety along the route, they will prepare all our meals and teach us about the history and nature of the region along the way.
Horses will carry 7kg (15.4lbs) of your personal belongings, and provided sleeping bag, along the route in a personal duffle bag. You will only have access to these items at camp. An additional 7kg duffle bag can be purchased for $40 if you need additional space for your items.
You will hike each day with just your day pack!
We will be VERY well cared for. With 3 full meals daily (food restrictions can be accommodated), unlimited fresh drinking water, hot coffee and tea, and snacks!
RETURNING TO CUSCO
Getting back to Cusco from Machu Picchu involves a lot of logistics and can take up to 5 hours. This process will be completely arranged for you, we just ask for your patience on this final day of our journey.
After hiking Huayna Picchu Mountain on Day 5 we will take a bus back to Aguas Calientes for lunch before boarding a train to Ollantaytambo. At the final train station a private bus will drive us back to Cusco and finally to our hotel.
You will have one final night in the hotel in Cusco before departing home.
Flights should be booked to and from Cusco, Peru. Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport (CUZ). Flights should arrive to Cusco on 10/6 and depart from Cusco on 10/13.**
**these dates do not include additional acclimatization days
- Transfer to and from Cusco International Airport
- 3 nights accommodations in Cusco
- Guided acclimatization hike
- Breakfast every day from arrival to departure
- Lunch, Dinner and Snacks Day 1, 2, 3 & 4 of Salkantay Trek
- Accommodation at Sky Camp, Andean Huts and Jungle Domes
- 1 night accommodations in Aguas Calientes
- Transportation within Cusco
- Private hiking group to Machu Picchu
- Professional mountain crew
- Horses to carry personal baggage up to 7kg in 30L duffle
- Entrance permits to Salkantay Sanctuary, Machu Picchu Archaeological Site & Huayna Picchu Mountain
- Train ticket on Day 4 of Salkantay Trek from Hidroelectrica to Aguas Calientes
- Bus tickets to/from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu
- Train ticket from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo
- Unlimited clean drinking water
- Sleeping bag and sleeping liner (rated to -18C)
- Trekking poles
- 30L duffle bag for personal belongings
- Backpack rain cover and poncho
- Luggage storage in Cusco
Price Does Not Include
- Visa fees
- Wifi and warm showers at Camp Day 2 & 3 ($10 ea)
- Additional 7kg duffle bag for your personal belongings ($40)
- Personal rental gear not listed above
- Tips for mountain crew
- Travel and/or mountaineering insurance
- Single accommodations
- Alcohol or specialty beverages
- Additional activities or tours
- Costs incurred due to delays out of our control (for example: extreme weather, illness, political instability)
- Shared (2 people/room) – $2525/person
You can sign up now by paying a nonrefundable $300 deposit or paying in full through Venmo @Tauni-Doster #machupicchu2024
Space is subject to availability within the group and Machu Picchu permits that are regulated by the government of Peru.
I will be in touch with you shortly after your payment is received!
Terms and Conditions
To sign up for a retreat, a non-refundable US $300 deposit is required. 50% of your retreat balance is due by March 1, 2024. Final retreat payment will be due by July 1, 2024.
Should you need to cancel your reservation prior to March 1, 2024 you will receive a refund for payment made less than the $300 deposit. Should you need to cancel your reservation prior to July 1, 2024 you will receive a refund for payment made less the $300 deposit and 50% balance. Should you need to cancel after July 1, 2024 for whatever reason, we will not be able to provide a refund or credit. Sign ups with full payment are welcome after July 1 based on availability of Machu Picchu permits.
Questions? Contact Tauni